The statistics are alarming:
- A record-setting 1 million job openings in the US
- 5 million workers quit just in quarter 2 of this year
- 41% of the global workforce would consider leaving their current employer within the next year
- 54% Gen Z’s are considering quitting
A Professional Awakening
For so many, the pandemic has been like people who survived a near-death experience. It has caused employees to reevaluate their professional careers, not only what they want, but also what they aren’t willing to tolerate anymore. This professional awakening has caught a lot of leaders and companies flatfooted. However, too many leaders are using The Great Resignation Era as a crutch. A significant percentage of people who have quit over the last 15 months is a result of poor company culture, whose leaders are solely focused on productivity and bottom-line profits.
I have seen first-hand, companies with the strongest company culture, long before the pandemic, are significantly less affected by the so-called labor shortage. And the organizations that churned and burned their team members, where a great workplace culture was only lip service, are the ones being hit the hardest by the employee turnover.
The Biggest Mistake Companies are Making Right Now
You can’t hire your way out of a bad culture.
Too many companies are trying to solve this staff shortage issue by hiring people as fast as they can just to fill positions and keeping employees with bad attitudes. Both are huge mistakes. “A” players hate working with “B & C” players. Unengaged employees are like squatters taking up space and sucking the energy out of your organization.
The #1 priority for businesses today needs to be focusing on keeping their top talent by improving their internal culture. Stop trying to find great employees, instead focus on becoming the type of business great employees find.
10 Ways to Build the Culture Employees Will Love
- Love your employees and show it
- Do not compromise who you hire or keep
- Prioritize employees’ mental health
- Measure employee engagement (surveys) quarterly
- Improve the quality of your employees’ lives
- Stop policing them from screwing up and start inspiring them to reach their fullest potential
- If your team is virtual, increase your one-on-one meetings
- Constantly share vision, direction, and sense of purpose
- Demonstrate you genuinely care for your employees
- Systemize leaders catching employees doing something right
Days of lighting fires under people are over. Days of lighting fires inside people are here.
*Related – Register for our webinar on Creating a Culture that Attracts and Keeps the Best Talent Nov 4, 2021, 11:00 AM (EST)
Three Questions All Leaders Need to be Measured On
Episode 059: 6 Steps in Launching a Successful Customer Service Initiative that Lasts
Chief Revolution Officer John DiJulius of the DiJulius Group discusses the 6 Steps in Launching a Successful Customer Service Initiative that Lasts. Every company is guilty of having a bunch of great ideas and incredible initiatives born in a meeting room only to eventually fizzle out and die, leaving the management team frustrated and cynical and the employees skeptical about what the next program of the year, the flavor of the month, or management by the best seller will be. The following list is how The DiJulius Group ensures our consulting clients are seeing tangible results twelve months, three years, even five years later. Listen to Podcast 59.
Join us for 3 upcoming webinars (all complimentary):
Is it time for a CXO (Chief Experience Officer)?
- When is it time to hire/promote a CXO?
- Where do CXO’s come from?
- How to prepare and train a CXO
- How to hire/promote the right CXO
- What should a CXO be responsible for?
Oct 28, 2021, 11:00 AM (EST) Register for the webinar now
2. Creating a Culture that Attracts and Keeps the Best Talent
- Understand what is causing the great resignation era
- Solving the Work from Home (WFH) quandary
- Eliminate poor performers
- Build a culture employees love
Nov 4, 2021, 11:00 AM (EST) Register for the webinar now
3. Become a licensed CX Coach
Oct 20, 2021, 11:00am EST Register for the webinar now
Next CX Coach Camp November 11/15/2021 – 11/18/2021 – Register Now
The 2022 Customer Experience Executive Academy – Register Now