Howard Schultz’s Commencement Speech
Howard Schultz Commencement Speech
Starbucks Executive Chairman, Howard Schultz, addressed the 2017 graduating class of Arizona State University. Here are just a few of my favorite parts:
- “Ubuntu” means I am because of you.
- When I was 7 years old, I had a defining moment in my life… I came home from school one day and saw my father laid on a couch with a cast from his hip to his ankle. I saw my parents go through hopelessness and despair at the age of 7. And those scars, that shame, that is with me even today.
- But from day one, I really wanted to build the kind of company my father never had a chance to work for. A company that honors and respects the dignity of work and the dignity of all men and all women.
- Every business, every organization, even every family, must be true to its values and reason for being. Our core purpose and reason for being then and now has always been to achieve the fragile balance between profit and humanity.
- The rules of engagement for business and business leaders have changed. That we must do more for our people and the communities we serve. And most importantly, that not every business decision is an economic one. And that success is not an entitlement. It has to be earned and earned every day through the lens of humility.
- My generation has not made it easy for you. Our political leaders on both sides of the aisle have not acted with enough courage, or honesty, in addressing the long-term challenges we face. They have been more focused on fighting with each other than walking in the shoes of the American people and vitriol rules the day in Washington.
- Give more than you receive and I promise you, it will come back to you in ways you can’t possibly imagine.
- You will make it so racism only exists in history books. Yes, you will. You will be the generation that teaches the world that we are at our best when we recognize, respect, and celebrate our diversity.
- Dream big, and then dream bigger, a more innovative dream, a more inclusive dream.
I highly encourage you to watch this entire inspiring speech.
The No-Holds-Barred Truth About What It Takes To Grab Attention, Build Your Brand And Win New Business
Too many in business have failed to recognize the shift that has happened right under their noses. It’s not so much that people have changed; it’s that the business landscape has changed—dramatically. For the first time in human history, we have no unmet needs. Every problem has a solution, and many companies now find themselves creating solutions that appear to be looking for a problem. In his provocative and enlightening new book, Visibility Marketing, David Avrin shows what marketing approaches work, which don’t, and why.
*Related – Read Avrin’s Article Blink And They’re Gone!
David Avrin Keynoting The Secret Service Summit
One of the most in-demand Business Marketing/Branding Keynote Speakers in the world today, David Avrin, CSP is known as The Visibility Coach. David has worked with thousands of CEOs and business leaders on their business brand and competitive advantages. The DiJulius Group is excited to announce that David Avrin will be keynoting at the 2017 Secret Service Summit October 26th & 27th in Cleveland, Ohio.
*Related – Kaihan Krippendorff Keynoting The Secret Service Summit